Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Deck the Halls {Coffee Filter Garland}

Christmas has been on my mind for a few weeks now. I don't know what it was this year that made me just want to skip over Halloween and Thanksgiving and go straight for Christmas so early! I have tried to put off decorating until at least a somewhat normal time of the year by working on projects a little ahead of time. I have had fun pinning all sorts of inspiration for my Rustic Elegant Christmas.  My first project was an Anthropologie inspired Coffee Filter Garland.
 My inspiration came from Pam Garrison's coffee filter garland that I found on Pinterest!
To make this garland, I used both white and natural coffee filters (no they are not used coffee filters!).  I used the coffee filters as a template to cut circles of "blank newspaper" paper, kraft paper, sheet music, my handwritten "Merry Christmas" paper, and brown tissue paper.
I cut a long string of twine. (This part was purely a guess on how much I would need; I cut a pretty long string and it worked out almost perfect! About 6 inches too long).

I tied a knot, cut a slice in the middle of every layer, thread a stack on, and then tied another knot to hold it in a cluster. I made a short stack and then I would double that and make a tall stack just so my garland would have varying size groupings.

And I loved how it turned out! My family is still warming up to the idea that I am decorating with coffee filters! "It doesn't look very Christmas-y".
I know it isn't the typical red and green Christmas but I feel like when the greenery and shiny decorations are added it will be pretty!

What do you think? A little too weird? Or do you like a little change up from the traditional Christmas decor?


Linking Up to  Centsational Girl, The Southern Product Queen, Bower Power Christmas Crafts Remodelaholic  
Chic on a Shoestring DecoratingThe Shabby Nest

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely awesome! Great job ... and, it really can be used anytime of year. But, surrounded by Christmas decor it will look so festive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, I like this a lot. I made a miniature version to use for a Christmas tree garland, and it took me FOREVER...and some painful needle wounds. I agree with the other commenter - this would look great any time of year! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means a lot. I try and answer any questions directly in the comment section so if you ask a question come back to look for my answer. However, it is much easier for me to answer questions through email at lorrinteriors@gmail.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips